Monday, April 27, 2009

"Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" revisited at the Algonquin Salon 4/26/09

For those who have seen this video of me performing "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" in my 5th grade play "Voices From The Past," here's an update!

I sang the same song at the Algonquin Salon last night. The theme was "The First Time," so I explained how this song was indelibly connected to the first moment I began thinking of myself as a singer for life, and not just as a singer for fun in my living room.

I completely missed the opportunity to thank my parents at the Salon...so I'll do so here. Mom, Dad, Peter, Brenda - thank you for those important early years of support and love in my creative journey. Thank you for showing up to performances, for all the car trips to and from rehearsals, for never questioning my love of the craft or pushing me to become something I'm not, for all the books about MGM musicals, for allowing me to go to greatly creative schools, and for helping me get physically and emotionally where I am today. And thanks also go to my sister Lisa, cousin Elena, and Uncle Steve/Aunt Leslie for rah-rahing those pom-poms when I needed it during my early years as well.

I think I'll cut & paste this into my Tony Award speech, when the time comes :)

Listen to the mp3 of the song last night here.

1 comment:

Beckela said...

A friend and I were vacationing in NYC and were at the Algonquin that night. We attended to see my friend's friends, Janice Hall and Sarah Rice, and we thoroughly enjoyed your performance as well! I look forward to hearing more from you.